So at least to get the update done, here are our fabulous Halloween costumes. I was a steampunk organ grinder (okay accordion player) and she was my clockwork monkey. While I didn’t make everything by hand, I did make my wig and hat and I altered her costume quite a bit because what was purchased was a horrible piece of junk. For her clockwork insides, I did an iron on transfer onto muslin, sewed that on then went around it with some fancy ribbon. I also attached some castinettes to her wrists so that when she clapped, she clanged her cymbals. I had to rip open her ears and stuff them cause they were so flat. Her outfit was all held together by ties that were never going to stay tied, so I sewed on some fabric velcro to the back, the neck and the hood and that managed to keep everything on nicely. To be honest, my hat took the most work and time. I would have been done 2 weeks ago if I hadn’t made it, but I love the way it turned out. It is 100% by me, pattern, fabrication, finishing and all. I did learn to use a much higher quality buckram next time. This was only the second hat I’ve made, the first being my wedding hat. Something about fall makes me want to make and wear hats.
Well, work is still crazy busy, so I’m cutting this note short, but feel free to check out our other Halloween pictures on our Flickr. Happy all saints day!